Welcome to Raven Ecological Blog.
I’m Deb Wellwood. I’m keen to delve into all kinds of relationships between people and the environment that sustains us, culturally, ecologically, economically, socially. Here, you’ll find my knowledge, experiences, and perspective in a web of topics with connections running this way and that!
There’s so much to explore in the networks that connect communities and ecosystems (ecological communities).
By blending my assorted passions, and life and career experience, you’ll read about
- natural history
- social–ecological systems
- carnivore ecology, behaviour, and conservation, focusing on species I have studied including grizzly bears, black bears, wolverines, and fishers
- human–bear interaction research and management
- bear awareness and safety
- stewardship of natural resources
- climate change and loss of biodiversity
- science and policy: problem solving and decision-making
- wilderness adventures and other trips (e.g., sea kayaking, whitewater rafting, backpacking, and bicycle touring)
- trip preparation and logistics and gear reports
- food for camping including recipes, preparation, packing, and cooking methods. Watch for home recipes too.
People thrive in healthy social–ecological communities. I know I do. That’s my theme.
I write to inspire people to connect with nature and to explore the ecosystems that sustain us. I’m looking forward to the adventure!
Eugene P. Odum and Gary W. Barrett. 2004. Fundamentals of Ecology. 5th Edition. Brooks Cole, Belmont, CA. 624 pp.